Skip to main content

Throwback Travel Together | Our Journey to the top of Mount Rinjani | The Sun on-top of Volcano| I faced my fears

April 20, 2014


It has been four years since my last climb. I don't know when it will happen again. I just remember those times both my joy and struggle trekking for three days and two nights.



You know that feeling when finally you made it to the top crater around the narrow rim of the volcano; you know you never gave up despite the challenges including the cold and body aches... It was a really awesome feeling. Not just happy but joyful.

It was the best feeling. It is the feeling not just appreciating and giving yourself a pat on the shoulder, but for me, it is more on a spiritual journey. I became inspired about life for risking it despite knowing that this active volcano would erupt anytime. And yes, it erupted two years later.

What if I was there? What if it happened much earlier? What if earth rocked when I was on it? A lot of what-ifs running through my head.

But one thing I am sure that this experience gives me a valuable lesson in life.

And that is...

You will never know you are capable of doing great things unless you try. And I TRY to conquer my fear. My fear of unknown. My fear of heights. My fear of death.

When I was there with my husband on the very dangerous and tricky steep and sweating walk along the pathway as we  ascended and descended because of its loose pulverized rocks from the ashes and lava blown from the previous explosion( thinking anytime I might fall off there in the mouth of the volcano), I was very terrified.

"Nangurog gyud akong tuhod promise."

But instead of focusing my energy and trying to watch my steps not to fall, my eyes focused on the very spectacular view as I took in several deep breaths sitting like a twig of the tree on the way.

I noticed the golden sunrise view after the blackness nights atop of this volcano with the ocean of clouds around it.

As I was bathed with its glow, I felt the light and courage that kept me warm.

I asked myself," What shall I fear?"

All my fears vanished. Why should I be afraid? If it is my time, it's my time. I don't have control over my life, but the One who created this and the One who decides when to explode it... YES, He can. He is the same God who helps me not to look at the face of fear so I can live through this horror.

I know there's a powerful Creator who created this beautiful creation. All I can do is to trust my life to Him. I thank Him that I survived physically and emotionally as He took me to the top. It's really the best first and maybe the last climb ( hopefully not) in my life.

Please follow and subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch the complete video.


Part 1: Our journey



Part 2: On the top


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memories in Austria from June 7 to June 16

Day 1 in Vienna – June 7, 2012 Leaving Budapest makes me sad, but going to Vienna makes me so excited. Another cultural experience has been waiting for us. So, the day before we left the country, we made sure that we have the necessary foods for the trip and cash because we need to buy train ticket. We woke up early and started walking at 5am heading to the Train Station, Budapest- Keleti. We supposed to leave at 6:05 am; however, there was something wrong with the rail jet, so we were transferred to another train that left at 7:10. We reached in Wein Meilding station in Austria at 9: 58am. Of course, travelling is not really all fun. I felt so tired specially, you can’t sleep well and you have to wake up so early. This train or Railjet 60 is much faster than the train we had from Bekes while the train from Debeljaca to Becej is the slowest of all. This is really second to Bullet Train. They have comfortable seats and ventilations. They give us program to inform us about

Letting Go of All Worries in Donna Buang Snow Mountain, Warburton | Snowplay | August 12, 2019

They say that winter always describes as cold, numbness, scarcity even associates with death. For me, that is snow, that is those days of bluster and ice that can be dangerous, but it can be also magical. It is a flash of diamonds that are covered everywhere. It is just all pure and white. May I wish that these thick pillows adorned on the trees and the soft and fluffy snow I am stepping on could heal all my worries about the future. Yet today, I am happy simply to walk with my family in it, it creates footprints of our own. The snow is soft enough that walking itself is very challenging because aside from it is so slippery, my feet are plunging to it. " God... please help me not to slip." The worried thoughts of a 27- week pregnant mommy me. And this is my winter pregnancy worries. Family on Snowplay in Mount Donna Buang, Warburton As I was holding Hannah on my left hand while I was holding the bars walking slow

Lesson learned: Expect the Unexpected

T raveling is not e asy e specially  when you have to step out of your comfort zone.  A ll the inconvenience, desperation, and unexpected troubles that happened during the trip  are  lessons to reflect upon.  We  have proven how risky traveling is  w hen my husband and I went to Europe for our honeymoon last year. T here were  times  we  put  our selves in danger because  we  messed out  our  bookings  and things didn't work out as  we  planned them. Since the first day of our trip, we were used  to booking our next departure  ticket  ever y time  we arrived in a city. It was in contrast on what happen in Sweden. We didn’t know that we had to book the ticket from Copenhagen. Apparently, we thought that we are getting ahead, but we are not. We had  to call Denmark's office to book the ticket knowing that we had no where to print it. It was a blessing that the Sony Center allowed us to print the ticket.   When we arrived in our next destination, Germany to